Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Ready for it?

I have a confession; I've been listening to Christmas music for 2 and a half weeks now.

I am the one who fights Christmas music. I normally refuse to listen until a couple of weeks before the blessed day.

It seems that Christmas is coming early this year.

And, not just for me...

It all started on October 12th, at the Walmart in Mesquite, NV. As I stood in line at checkout, I realized I was humming 'Ding Dong! Merrily on High'.

Why was this the song stuck in my head? They were playing it over the PA system.

October 12th!!!

And now, my dad - Mr. 'No Christmas until Christmas Eve.' - suggested to my mom that they get out the decorations.

I theorize that we are pretty desperate for something to take our minds off of the state of our world.

I'm not going to claim to be an expert here, only that I know how I feel, and I think I have a good sense for how those around me feel. I have to say, its a mixed bag. Christmas is something solid, reliable, in this crazy rollercoaster we've been on. No matter how much gas costs, no matter who is elected, no matter how dark the night (Knight? lol), Christmas will come.

And with Christmas, behind all the commercialism, underlying all the merrymaking, comes love, hope, and the knowledge that long ago a star shone so brightly that three learned men were compelled to follow it.

We are like those learned men, early seekers of the hope, the love that accompany the season, because they draw us to one another. Seekers of Christ, who will quiet our fears and open our hearts.

He is our Savior.

My Savior.


I beg your pardon for this, since it is only the beginning of November, but...

I wish all a wonderful, peaceful, happy Christmas this year.


No comments: